If you’re like most homeowners, you have a general maintenance checklist for appliances, systems, and other equipment in your home. Regular maintenance and checkpoints for almost everything in your home is important, especially that of your garage door. Here’s a checklist we’ve put together for you to go through to make sure your garage door is safe and working properly.
- Make sure the track is clear of any debris, as well as making sure it is well lubricated and not dented.
- Check when the door is closed for hinges and other parts related to your track, making sure they’re functioning correctly and not damaged.
- Double-check the cables of your garage door, making sure there’s no fraying, damage, or wear on them.
- Inspect your garage door’s opening system. Make sure there aren’t any grinding noises or loud, crunching sounds.
- Make sure your door is opening and closing without any issues. This should be a smooth, fluid movement with little to not pausing.
- Take a look at the door’s weather stripping, looking closely for any cracks, rips, or gaps.
- Inspect the outside of your garage door for any chips, scratches, or damage to the exterior. Repair these where necessary.
- If the outside of the garage door is dirty, do not use a pressure washer or any type of soap to clean it. This can damage the door itself and fade the paint on the outside quicker. Inside, just rinse the door with a hose.
If you’re looking for professionals to help maintain and repair your Genie garage door, look to us at Genie Sales & Service Co. for expert care. Contact us today at 972.434.1717 for any maintenance, installation, or repair-based needs.